Saturday, December 3, 2011

Crustless Cranberry Walnut Pie


I bought three days of cranberries the other day, (hey, they were on sale for 99 cents apiece, what was I supposed to do?) so I knew I needed to get a hold of some great cranberry-involving recipes as soon as possible. This recipe was really, really good. The cranberries were just tart enough to counteract the sweetness of the cake/pie. It's called a pie, but it's basically a thin cake to me. My brother happened to be home this weekend, so this dessert was gone within 12 hours! 



I had some cranberries left over, so I froze them in the bag to use in future recipes. Does anyone know what a raw cranberry tastes like? I thought about trying to eat one, but I couldn't get up the nerve! Homework and classwork has pretty much been taking over my life for the past week- two tests, two oral presentations, a portfolio due, and a paper- BUT I got it all done, and I have all As in my classes going into finals, which start this Wednesday. I can't wait for winter break! I'll have so much more time for baking and planning products for my Etsy store. I already know I'm going to sell vintage kitchen items, recipe cards, and dinner menus, but beyond that, I have no clue.











I melted the butter in a saucepan and mixed the ingredients in there to make cleanup easier. 






I'm positive this isn't a new idea, but I was SO EXCITED that I thought to do it. I use shortening on everything, (despite my new knowledge of trans fats learned in NUTR 231) but it's always so messy. So I decided to put my hand in a small ziplock bag and spread the shortening around with no mess. It was fantastic!






Okay, so i maybe I added a little too much shortening using my bag technique. Next time I'll use a little less!










Crustless Cranberry Walnut Pie
from AllRecipes

Ingredients
  • 1 cup all-purpose flour
  • 1 cup white sugar
  • 1/4 teaspoon salt
  • 2 cups cranberries
  • 1/2 cup chopped walnuts
  • 1/2 cup butter, melted
  • 2 eggs
  • 1 teaspoon almond extract

Directions
  • Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C). Grease one 9 inch pie pan.
  • Combine the flour, sugar, and salt. Stir in the cranberries and the walnuts, and toss to coat. Stir in the butter, beaten eggs, and almond extract. If you are using frozen cranberries, the mixture will be very thick. Spread the batter into the prepared pan.
  • Bake at 350 degrees F (175 degrees C) for 40 minutes, or until a wooden pick inserted near the center comes out clean. Serve warm with whipped cream or ice cream.

No comments:

Post a Comment